FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Table of contents
- What is Ghost?
- Is Ghost for me?
- Is Ghost responsive?
- How do you backup my data?
- What is the roadmap?
Some answers regarding play-with-ghost.com (PWG):
- What is play-with-ghost?
- Why did we create play-with-ghost?
- Why were my edits deleted on play-with-ghost?
- Which Ghost version is available on play-with-ghost?
- Is the Ghost Foundation is part of play-with-ghost?
- Who is behind play-with-ghost?
Search for posts and tutorials
What is Ghost?
Ghost is a web base solution that lets you create your website with a blog. It's an outstanding solution to use to publish and manage your content. You can see Ghost as a great alternative to CMS systems like WordPress, Medium, Drupal, Tumblr and other website builders.
It’s one of the most popular modern open source projects in the world. It's used in production by tens of thousands of companies and bloggers.
The project is mature, open-source and maintained by a dedicated team of 10 passionate people. More than 300 persons have contributed to the software at this point.
Is Ghost for me?
- It's for writers and bloggers.
- It's for non-technical peoples.
- It's for those are who looking for an alternative to Wordpress, Medium, Drupal and other CMS that have failed them.
- It's for people who are looking for a simple way to kick off their websites without messing with the design.
- It's for people who value owning their data and their brand.
- In the end, if you have something to share with the world (services, ideas, product), Ghost might be just the right fit for you.
Is Ghost responsive?
Absolutely! This is like asking if there are tomatoes in my ketchup. The website and admin area are both responsive.
If it's the first time you have logged into the Ghost dashboard, I would highly recommend for you to login via a desktop. It will give you a better sense of what it can do. Managing content takes space.
How do you backup my data?
- ✅ We maintain a minimum of three copies of your data at all times living on our server. This is called a hot backup.
- ✅ Every 4 hours, we copy your database, compress it, encrypted it and upload it to B2. This is also called an End-to-End encrypted cold backup. Every 24 hours, we do the same process with your pictures.
- ✅ Our cloud storage provided is Backblaze B2. They offer data durability at a rate of 99.999999999%. It means there’s a higher likelihood of an asteroid destroying earth within a million years than having our cloud provider lose a file.
What is the roadmap?
We share a public roadmap via this Trello board.
You can also easily search within our websites or find more information on our How-To section.
If our FAQ is missing something, feel free to contact us.
What is play-with-ghost?
play-with-ghost is a playground to help you learn about Ghost, by using and touching it. We believe Ghost is an outstanding CMS software to build websites and blogs.
What's remarkable here, is that you have the option to log into the admin panel by using provided dummy credentials. There are more than ten live demos to play with!
In short, you can try Ghost on the spot without having to sign-up!
AS A VISITOR, YOU SEE:
AS AN EDITOR, YOU SEE:
HERE IS WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- ✅ Create a page or a post as easily as sending an email
- ✅ Edit, remove posts & pages
- ✅ Create links inside and outside of your website
- ✅ Upload pictures
- ✅ Format your content in markdown
- ✅ Embed videos, forms, audio, etc
- ✅ Organize the navigation menu
- ✅ Import and export a backup
- ✅ Accept payments and embed an e-commerce store
- and more!
In short, as the editor, you are in control.
In plain English there are three main reasons.
1) To allow you to try Ghost without having to sign-up for anything. I believe you should not have to register to try the software and get all those spammy "hints" about the product. It's especially true when we have no idea if the application is good for your needs or not.
2) To allow you to see as a visitor, what a website made with Ghost looks like. The look of a website made in Ghost is driven by themes.
3) To allow you to put yourself in the shoes of an editor. To do so, you have access to a Ghost dashboard. This way you can realize how easy it is to publish and create your own website and blog with it.
User stories are defacto to way to right requirements for most software projects:
As a potential Ghost user
I want to see if Ghost could be
the solution for me so that I can publish
and communicate with my audience easily.
When I go on play-with-ghost
I expect to see many Ghost's themes to choose from.
I also want the option to edit websites
created with Ghost so that I can make a good decision
about whether Ghost is for me (or not).
Which Ghost version is available?
Thanks to the latest software best practices like running software in containers and CI/CD, we can deploy (and redeploy) Ghost often and quickly. We share a lot of our work on Github.
You can see the Ghost version here:
Why were my edits deleted?
On play-with-ghost the live demo sites are restored every 30 minutes. To understand what is going on under the hood, let me explain what the life cycle of a sandbox is.
- Sandbox — A sandbox is an environment where a software lives for a limited period.
- Restore — Live demo websites will reboot and reset themselves every 30 mins.
- Error 404 — Chance are, nothing is broken. When the system restores the live demo, it takes about 30 seconds to reboot.
- Stranger things — A live demo website is open to everyone. It means other people will do edits at the same time as you are. Don't be surprised if the content is changing and you didn't touch it.
- Sandboxes are public — Please don't insert inappropriate content or do something stupid like deleting all the content. This place is like a park, and everyone wants to enjoy it.
30 minutes is not enough? — Simply active your trial here.
Is the Ghost Foundation related to this project?
No, it's an initiative made by me, Pascal Andy. I love Ghost and have used Ghost since version 0.4. I believe it's one of the greatest FOSS (Free and Open-source software) CMS ever!
You can learn about the Ghost foundation here.